Well this week had moved along smashingly. I can’t believe that tomorrow is my birthday. It seems like the Mrs. and I have some fun things planned for tomorrow. I’m pretty excited. Today I am going to share some thoughts about entertainment/culture. I don’t really know where this came from in all honesty. I don’t consider myself an expert on social media or entertainment. Maybe it came from a recent discussion we had in a class on the role of entertainment. Maybe it came from loving to watch tv shows and movies. Maybe it cam because most of the world is tied to social media. Who knows, but here goes nothing…
- Things don’t matter. I really think most people agree with this statement. I like having nice things, and I hope to have the nice house, 2.5 kids, with the backyard and dog and all that stuff, but it won’t complete me. The best way I know to say this is, I don’t want things to define who I am and my relationships with people. I want to invest in people and things that will last longer than me or anyone else.
- I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I love what it can do for me, but I hate being tied to it. We all have gadgets, and a lot of people continually get new gadgets, but I think we realize that they don’t really mean anything. I want to invest my time in people and meaningful things instead of having cool things. Of course I say this while writing from my laptop with my iPhone sitting beside me. I realize some of these things we need today, but I don’t want to be tied to them.
- I’m amazed at how TV characters have shaped my life. I really don’t know where to even start with this. I grew up watching TV. I love movies, and I am still trying to write a post about one of my characters of all time, Rocky Balboa. Recently, there have been a couple of characters that I have been drawn to more than others. One of my favorite shows is Parks & Rec. Ron Swanson is a character that is 110% man. Nick Offerman, the actor, does a great job playing his character. He is very dry, and in a lot of ways, though not all, I like his outlook on life and politics. He is just a great character for a hilarious TV show. The other character is not on TV anymore, but you might remember Michael Scott. A lot of times I felt like the writers of the show tried to put him in the worst, most awkward situation possible. He acted like a five year old, most of the time. He was crass often, but always funny and ridiculous. He was often in over his head at his job, but he always loved his co-workers, except for Toby of course. I felt like I could identify with him in a lot of situations where he had no clue what he was doing. That is how I felt a lot of times when I worked at the church. I loved the kids I worked with at the church, but I often felt like I was in way over my head. There have been others, but these stick out the most right now.
- I love Psych. Speaking of good characters, my favorite show is Psych. This show is so funny. The dialogue is so funny and fast paced. The creators are very interactive with the fans through social media. One of my favorite parts of the show is the development of the relationship between the main character, Shawn, and his dad, Henry. At the very beginning of the show, they have been recently reunited. It is a rocky relationship for a long time, but over the course of the show, both characters grow a lot. If you have not seen it, go watch it today, or come over to the apartment and we will watch a couple of episodes.
- ‘Man or Muppet’ is one of my favorite movie songs ever. In all honesty, I was struggling for the last few thoughts, so I was looking around my apartment for inspiration and came across our DVD of the Muppets. The Mrs. and I loved the new movie and our favorite part of the movie is the song. It is so funny, and I was so glad it won an Oscar for best song.
- Social media might take over the world. Like I said, I was struggling for the last few points, but I am just amazed at how much social media has grown. Just think, 10 years ago it barely existed. Now it is a huge industry. People get paid to play on Facebook and Twitter. I wonder where it goes from here…
That was fun. Tomorrow I wrap this puppy up. It will be sharing some random thoughts on life. Thanks for reading.
What do you think of social media?
Do you have a favorite TV show?